I have been resistant to the idea of grocery store pick-ups. Until now. As a full time working Mama and wife to a hard working man who is currently working 60 plus hours a week, I’ll take whatever help I can get.
To be completely honest, my love for Aldi and my obsession with saving money tainted my preconceived notions of the whole idea of paying someone else to pick out my groceries, a job that I am perfectly capable of. I was naive. I had no idea what I was missing. This week, with zero food in the refrigerator, a busy schedule and the fact that my local Aldi closed for 7 weeks of renovation, I decided to bite the bullet. I gave it a try and quickly realized what all of the hype was about!
What You save:
- Time– Not only is it extremely easy to hop online and place your order (I placed mine at approximately 11PM like any sane person who has to be at work early the next morning), you are able to save your order to reuse or edit as needed. This saves a lot of time in the long run. You choose the window of time to pickup your order and then call when you arrive at the well marked pick-up location. The Walmart that I went to is conveniently on my way home. It has 10 well marked parking spots on the side of the building. That being said, most Kroger, Giant Eagle and Meijer locations simply have a lane or pull off spots in front of the store that are a bit easier to spot. I called when I had picked up Quinn up from daycare and knew that I was 5-10 minutes from the store. I waited for about 5 minutes and only got out of my car in order to open up the trunk.
- Money– Not only is Grocery pick-up FREE at Walmart, but you also save $10 on your first order of $50 or more with the code WOWFRESH. Kroger and Giant Eagle wave the fee for your first three pickups. You also save yourself from spending money on items that you didn’t even know you needed. You know what I’m talking about. We’ve all done it. As you roam the aisles, checking items off your list, inevitably items call your name and find their way into your cart. Whether it’s on sale or you’re like me and you feel the need to always have things “just in case”, I stray from my list at least a little bit each visit. Shopping online and pre-ordering groceries for pickup eliminates this problem and helps you stick to your budget.
- Sanity– We are all running in a million different directions. Why not take advantage of a resource that was designed with you in mind, in order to take one more thing off of your list?! I love the fact that after a long day at work, I was able to pick my daughter up from daycare and rather than drag her through the grocery store for 30 minutes to an hour, we picked up groceries in a matter of 5-10 minutes and are able to spend that much more time together doing a much more preferred activity.
Stores that offer grocery pickup services:
- Walmart – FREE
- Kroger ClickList – FREE for first 3 pickups; $4.95/ pick-up after that
- Giant Eagle Curbside Express– FREE for first 3 pickups; $4.95/ pick-up after that
- Meijer Curbside– Fee varies by location
Payment: Cash, check, or federal assistance can not be used to place online orders. A credit or debit card must be given at the time of placing your order, though it will not be charged until pickup. Giant Eagle will also take store gift cards.
Coupons: Stores will honor your loyalty cards and any coupons that you have loaded electronically to your card. You may also give any printed coupons to the attendant who brings out your order.
Substitutions: Any substitutions that are made are typically identified somehow (see below) in addition to the attendant notifying you at pickup. The substitutions are typically something small (i.e. we got blueberry whole grain waffles instead of regular whole grain waffles).
Estimated Pricing: If you order products that are priced and packaged per pound (produce, meat, etc.) then the price online is estimated and could vary slightly depending on what is available at the time that your groceries are selected).
Double check: Same day pickup is available if your order is placed by a certain time
Call ahead: Don’t wait until you are parked outside to call. Call on your way and your experience will be as quick and smooth as possible.
Though I was skeptical at first, I must say, I am now a believer. I am looking forward to the amount of time, money and sanity that this service is sure to save me! Let me know your own experiences with pick-up services and if you have any tips to share!